There are many reasons you might consider exploring a new diet:
- Seeking your “Beach Body”…summer is here!
- Clothes are feeling a little too tight…and you are determined that you are NOT going to buy a new wardrobe (in a larger size)!
- Preparing for a big event (wedding bells?) or a vacation.
- Training for a sporting event.
- Staying healthy or getting healthier (maybe your doctor just recommended a lifestyle change).
- Supporting a family member who has decided to diet.
- Your friends decide to invite the author of a popular new diet (and bestselling diet book) onto your podcast (ding, ding, ding!!!).
We each lost some weight, but had mixed results…
We discussed this very topic with Dr. Ian, and here’s what he had to say:
If you want to hear more of what he had to say (or just watch a good-looking man talk), check out Episode 29 of Siren Soapbox!
Our Take-away: “One of the biggest mistakes that people make on diet plans is they start when they’re not ready.”
Actually, we think this pearl of wisdom can be applied to just about any area of life!
So, what is our advice if you are interested in exploring a new diet? Here’s what we recommend:
- Find a diet buddy. Hold each other accountable, support each other, share grocery lists and recipes, and be there to vent to each other when you are frustrated.
- Find the right diet for your lifestyle.
- Start by getting in the right mindset! Dr. Ian suggested that it’s a good idea if you want to change your diet, or just change your relationship with food, to begin with his book: Mind Over Weight (the sirens all wish we had started with this book).
But, the advice that the sirens feel the most passionate about is:
Love your body and be grateful for it!
P.S.: Fun fact that we discovered on our podcast – Dr. Ian Smith has also published some fiction novels! The sirens are adding these to our reading lists – and we just might have him back on a future episode to talk about them:
Leave us a comment and let us know what you love about your body!